A Rose for Emily Questions and Responses
Faulkner and Regionalism
1. Emily Grierson ~ She was the main character because the story had to do with her. Her main qualities were seclusion, quiet, persistent, self-centered, and cold-hearted.
2. Colonel Sartoris ~ He was the former mayor of Jefferson. His primary characteristics would be sexist, and racist.
3. Tobe ~ He was Miss Emily’s servant for several years. His primary attributes were caring, loyal, and quiet.
4. Judge Stevens ~ He was the present mayor of Jefferson. His primary qualities were old (he was eighty), respectful, kind, problem-solving (in the case of the odor coming from Miss Emily’s home).
5. Homer Barron ~ He was the love interest of the story sharing a relationship with Miss Emily. His main attributes got along, social, humor, loud, demanding, and leading (in Miss Emily’s case).
1. The introduction to the lesson states that Faulkner’s “great theme was the American South.” “A Rose for Emily” is a good example of regionalism. Determine 2 examples of regional color from the story. Two examples of local color from the story are Miss Emily’s old house that she refused to fix and was the last home staying from what was once filled with the very best homes. Likewise Miss Emily refused to alter to match the ones who moved into the location; she didn’t pay taxes and her servant was African American.
2. In the first paragraph Miss Emily is compared to a “fallen monument.” What does his metaphor tell the reader about her social status prior to she died? That metaphor about Miss Emily informs me that throughout some time period she was a really essential individual to the community who had high social standing and wealth.
3. Part two starts with a shift in time. At this point in the story, Miss Emily’s daddy has been dead for two years and the townspeople began to complain about a suspicious odor. After you have actually finished reading the story, hypothesize about the reason for the smell. I think the suspicious odor could have been her decomposing father considering that at this point Homer was not in the photo so it couldn’t have been his body stinking and it did say her daddy was truly controlling of her. After he died she probably could not let go of him similar to she could not with Homer later.
4. Who starts to date Miss Emily in Part III, and why was he in town? Homer Barren had started to date Miss Emily in Part 3 and he had actually initially pertained to town to deal with the walkways.
5. What is the climax of the story? Explain your response. The climax of the story would most likely be when Miss Emily died because that was when people in town actually started to gossip and talk about her like everyone does when somebody well known passes away.
6. In parts III & & IV, Miss Emily makes a couple of suspicious purchases in the area. What does she buy and what is the purpose of each item? Miss Emily is seen buying a shaving set with Homers initials on them and rat poison. I assume that the shaving package was to make the town believe that they belonged together and would quickly be weding and the poison was to kill Homer so that she would be able to keep him.
7. “A Rose for Emily” is not told in sequential order. List each area in sequential order and explain your choices.
8. In section II Emily’s cousins came expecting a wedding event. When they do not discover Homer, they assume he went to get ready for the wedding. After Emily’s cousins left, “within 3 days Homer Barron was back in town.” What happened to Homer next?
9. When the story returns to present day and the townspeople go into Miss Emily’s upstairs space, what do they find after breaking down the door? After they finally break down the door they find a mummified Homer laying on one side of the bed, an imprint beside him as if someone spent years laying there, and Homer’s things like his fit set out.
10. What do you expect took place to Homer Barron? What context hints help you piece together his fate? Miss Emily poisoned Homer with rat poison and let him decay in her house. The things that assist me figure this out is that Miss Emily bought rat toxin, Homer was last seen going into her home, Homer just disappears without a word to anybody, and the bad odor that begins to emanate from Miss Emily’s home.